Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Brothers Perform CPR, Save Golfer

Golfer Guz Franzetta said he loves walking the fairways while playing a round or two of golf at local courses, and thanks to two quick-thinking brothers, he'll be able to keep swinging.

Franzetta told Channel 4 Action News' Andrew Stockey that he suffered a heart attack while on the final hole at Duck Hollow Golf Club in Uniontown on Aug. 15.

"I don't remember swinging a club at all. I don't remember playing a single hole," said Franzetta, of Pittsburgh.

But business associate and friend Jim Sampson said he witnessed it all.

"I heard Gus drop, and as I turned to help, I looked at his face and I said, 'Boys, we need to help him,'" said Sampson.

Fortunately for Franzetta, Sampson's sons Eric and Ben both knew CPR.

"We just began working. My brother cleared the airways," said Eric Sampson.

But it appeared Franzetta was almost beyond the point of saving.

"My brother checked his pulse. He had no pulse," said Eric Sampson.

Ben Sampson admitted that he was scared, but maintained his focus.

"The adrenaline and just reaction … I had to keep going. I wasn't going to let him go," said Ben Sampson.

The brothers were able to revive Franzetta before paramedics arrived.

"If there could be a positive way to look at it, the right people were in the right place at the right time. My brother and I know CPR. There was a nurse nearby and retired paramedics," said Ben Sampson.

"I played this past Saturday with other friends of mine and they thanked God it wasn't them that I was playing with when I went down because they probably not have known what to do," said Franzetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment